According to local reports a natural gas leak led to an explosion at an apartment complex in Lubbock Texas. The incident occurred around 9 a.m. Tuesday April 10 when a massive explosion rocked Briercroft Manor Apartment Complex along 65th Drive. Residents reported smelling gas as early as Monday evening with one resident making an official report just a half hour before the incident. Seven people were taken to local Lubbock hospitals with a 38-year-old man taken to UMCs burn unit.
Site of the Accident
One report notes the blast has left 38 people homeless with the complex so severely damaged that the complex was deemed unsafe and had to be demolished. I dont think Im surprising anyone when I say if a property owner had been actively monitoring and servicing their property this accident may not have occurred. Lets discuss this ownership responsibility for a moment. Unless privately owned (which I hope the article would phrase the complex as condominiums) the maintenance of apartments falls on the owner of the complex. Tenants are at the mercy of ownership for maintenance or repairs or risk breaking their lease if they take matters into their own hands. So when an accident like this occurs the first area to scrutinize is an owners diligence in maintaining their property. This is a very arduous process with an independent investigation needed to research city codes and service records for liability purposes. After this is completed victims may have standing to pursue personal injury claims.
- Attorney Michael Grossman